Newsletters | General Information | Beginning Farmers & Small Farms | Labor Management | Worker Training & Safety | Disaster Preparedness | Plant and Life Science Publishing | Energy Conservation | Tree Fruit | Grapes | Berries
- Best Management Practices for U-Pick Farms During the COVID-19 Pandemic – Recommended practices and communication strategies for U-Pick operations to protect your farm team and your customers.
- Guide to Farming In NYS – an essential resource with answers about taxes, business planning, labor law, zoning, regulations, marketing, and more.
- Crop Insurance Tools – Provides free tools to help farmers understand their crop insurance options; houses an open-access data platform for analysts and researchers as well. (Ag-Analytics)
- Setting the Stage for Future Growth: Winery Collaboration and Economic Impacts – Northern Grapes Project webinar video. More Project Webinars
- Berry Budgets – Estimated production costs and returns to risk and management to help you plan for profit for strawberries (June-bearing), blueberries and raspberries (summer-bearing floricane).
- NE Beginning Farmer Project – online courses and informational resources for new farmers.
- Northeast Center for Food Entrepreneurship– Provides comprehensive assistance to food entrepreneurs. Includes technical guide, factsheets, and more.
- NYS Agricultural Mediation Program A tool for farmers and others in the agricultural community to communicate, negotiate, and to find fair workable solutions.
- The Technology Farm – R&D park in Geneva, N.Y., for food, ag and bio-based collaboration with Cornell University.
- The Cornell Farmworker Program (CFP) is dedicated to improving the living and working conditions of farmworkers and their families
- New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAMH) provides research, education and prevention activities, and clinical help for farm-related health problems.
- NY Farm Net – Provides New York farm families with free, confidential consulting services to develop skills to improve financial and production efficiency, and overcome business and family challenges.
- Harvesting Change Workbook: A Planning Workbook for Apple Growers – Workbook designed for business analysis, decision-making and strategic planning. (2003 NYFarmNet)
- Small Farms Quarterly – features articles with a variety of technical advice and farmer stories with the goal of supporting the growing farming movement in the Northeastern US.
- Small Farms Update from the Small Farms Program – E-mail signup.
- Cooperative Notes Newsletter – Northeast Cooperative Council
- Cornell Dyson School Smart Marketing Newsletter: a marketing newsletter that reviews elements critical to successful marketing in the food and agricultural industry.
- Cornell Farmworker Program News & Events and Program Reports
- New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAMH) Newsletters & News
- More Newsletters
- Cooperative Enterprise Program
- Monitoring and Measuring Fruit Farm Businesses (2008 NYFQ v. 16-4, 92 kb pdf)
- Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses (SARE)
- Developing a Strategic Marketing Plan for Horticultural Firms
- New York Economic Handbook 2013 (3.77 mb pdf )
- New York Annual Statistical Reports (USDA NASS)
- Summary Statistics for Fruits and Berries (2011 USDA, 330 kb pdf)
- USDA Fruit & Tree Nut Yearbook Statistics – Contains over 20 years of time-series data for U.S. bearing acreage, production, prices, crop value, trade, per capita use, and more.
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS): Latest Releases from NY (USDA)
- Evaluating a Rural Enterprise (order/download ATTRA pdf)
- Horticultural Business Information Network (Texas A&M)
- Cost Studies for Various Fruits and Vegetables (UC Davis)
Beginning Farmers & Small Farms
- Getting Started in Farming? 5 Keys to Success (2002 Smart Marketing, 159 kb pdf)
- New Farmers (USDA)
- New York Small Farms Summet from Cornell Small Farms Program
- Agricultural Labor Management (Univ. of CA)
- Agricultural Labor Management (Univ. of VT)
- (H-2A) Temporary Agricultural Workers (US Department of Labor)
- (H-2A) Temporary Agricultural Workers (US Citizenship & Immigration Service)
- (H-2B) Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers (US Citizenship & Immigration Service)
- Labor & Record-Keeping Forms
- Survey of NY Fruit & Vegetable Farm Employees 2009
- New York Economic Handbook 2013 (3.77 mb pdf )
Worker Training & Safety
- Worker Protection Standard (US EPA)
- NY Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAHM)
- National Agricultural Safety Database
- National Education Center for Agricultural Safety (NECAS)
- National Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (NIOSH)
- Rollover Protective Structures Save Lives (2011, NYCAMH)
- NY Rollover Protective Structure Retrofit Program (ROPS)
- A Hazardous Waste Guide for Farmers (2009, DEC)
- Reducing Repetitive Stress Injuries Related to Orchard Pruning (2008, NYCAMH)
- The Platform Factor – Labor Positioning Machines Producing Good Results (2010 NYFQ v. 18-2, 1.13 mb pdf)
- Watch Out for Wild Parsnip (2006, NYCAMH)
- The Dangers of Giant Hogweed (2005, NYCAMH)
- Giant Hogweed – Poisonous Invader of the Northeast (2009, Sea Grant NY)
- Giant Hogweed (NYDEC)
- How Do I Know If Farm Noise Is Too Loud? (2006, NYCAMH)
- Reducing Take-Home Pesticide Exposures (2008, NYCAMH)
- ReadyAG: Disaster and Defense Preparedness for Production Agriculture
- New York EDEN (Extension disaster education network)
- Crop Insurance Tools – (Ag-Analytics)
- Do I Need Crop Insurance? Self Evaluating Crop Insurance as a Risk Management Tool in NYS (2009 AEM, 525 kb pdf
Order Plant and Life Sciences Publishing (PALS) books (formerly NRAES)
- Farming Alternatives: A Guide to Evaluating the Feasibility of New Farm-Based Enterprises (1988, NRAES #32)
- Conserving Fuel on the Farm (order/download ATTRA pdf)
- Farm Energy Audits: Availability, Usefulness, Cost (NCAT)
- Farm Energy Calculators: Evaluations and Recommendations (NCAT)
- Farm Energy Calculators: Tools for Saving Money on the Farm (order/download ATTRA pdf)
- Clean Energy Farming: Cutting Costs, Improving Efficiencies, Harnessing Renewables (SARE)
- Fruit Farm Business Summary, Lake Ontario Region New York 2008 (2009 AEM, 654 kb pdf)
- Fruit Farm Business Summary, Lake Ontario Region New York 2007: click here to order a copy.
- Fruit Farm Business Summary: Lake Ontario Region New York 2006 (2007 AEM, 671 kb pdf)
- Fruit Farm Business Summary: Lake Ontario Region New York 2005 (2006 AEM, 1,012 kb pdf)
- Success: Beyond Tons and Gallons (Appellation Cornell March 2016)
- Cost of Establishment of V. vinifera in the Finger Lakes Region of New York – 2013 (2014)
- Cost of Establishment of Hybrid Grapes in the Finger Lakes Region of New York – 2013 (2014)
- Lake Erie Grape Farm Cost Survey: 2001-2005 (2006 AEM, 325 kb pdf)
- Writing a Business Plan: A Guide for Small Premium Wineries (2002 AEM, 362 kb pdf)
- Writing a Business Plan: An Example for a Small Premium Winery (2002 AEM, 349 kb pdf)
- Vineyard and Winery Feasibility Workbooks (Iowa State Univ.)
- Lake Erie Regional Grape Program – Business Management
- NY Grape and Wine Classifieds
- Berry Budgets – Estimated production costs and returns for berry crops in New York State
- Should Production in High Tunnels Be Part of Your Specialty Crop Enterprise?
- Retailing Requires TBQM: Total Berry Quality Management